Saturday, April 19, 2014

Back to sewing basics

Last night, after looking at Bodyline Lolita products, i started remembering all those days of trying to my own dresses. Oh, i missed everything from the feel the fabrics to the hum of my sewing machine. I decided i want to feel all those thing again and i want to re-learn sewing!

I say "re-learn" because last May, i took a hiatus from crafts all together because i wanted to pursue other interests. The little make-shift craft area i created in my garage remained untouched until about three weeks ago when my family and i moved to our new house. I already have a place picked out in my new garage to recreate a little craft again, but my table is currently being used as TV stand. bleh.

This morning, i took an old sheet and my sewing box and sat down in my den floor. After reorganizing my sewing box, (i tend to organize and reorganize it a lot) i laid the old sheet out and began to cut it.

 oh my, what a nightmare.

 I completely forgot all the tips i already learned about cutting fabric, so i failed horribly. Since i was only cutting out a little bit of fabric so i could practice sewing, i didn't really stress too much. It still bothers me that i'm cutting this bad after 11 months of not cutting. On top of that, when i started running the needle through my fabric, i was sewing an overlay stitch when i wanted a running stitch. I wanted to give up and just go lay down, but i didn't because i really want to start sewing again and being making my own clothes and costumes.

So i logged onto Youtube and various sewing/craft sites and i began to relearn everything i've forgotten. At least i've gotten the basics of the basics out of the way!

Here's a basic stitch from my first time sewing in 11 months:



\
It may be ugly, uneven, and all around crappy but i still love it. I've missed sewing so much! After an hour of cramming basic sewing knowledge into my brain then diving right in, i think i did an okay job. which is fine by me!

I'm going to keep this little piece of fabric so it can remind me of my love for sewing whenever i get discouraged and want to quit.


Love,

Kittie

No comments:

Post a Comment